The 2020 Dutch Prize for ICT Research is to be awarded to Pablo Cesar. The group leader of the Distributive and Interactive Systems (DIS) group at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) and associate professor at Delft University of Technology is given the prize for his research on modelling and controlling complex collections of media objects (including real-time media and sensor data that are distributed in time and space). The prize comes with € 50.000, that can be freely spent by the winner to support their own research.
Four candidates were put forward for the 2020 ICT Prize, and the jury was impressed by the quality and diversity of these submissions. The jury, comprising Prof. Emile Aarts (Tilburg School of Economics and Management), Prof. Kees Schouwhamer Immink (Universiteit Essen-Duisburg/ Turing Machines B.V. Rotterdam) and Prof. Peter de With (Technical University Eindhoven), ultimately selected Pablo Cesar as the worthy recipient of the 2020 Netherlands Prize of ICT Research. The jury praises Cesar for his impressive scientific achievements and his ability to communicate his research in an understandable way. Cesar reaches and inspires people inside and outside his field.
The prestigious Dutch Prize for ICT Research is awarded annually to a scientific researcher who has carried out innovative research or is responsible for a scientific breakthrough in ICT (max. 15 years after their promotion at the time of the decision). The prize is awarded jointly by the Dutch ICT research platform IPN and NWO through the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities. Besides the € 50,000 prize money awarded to the winner. Cesar together with NWO will make a video describing the award-winning work and its importance, for distribution to high schools, universities and other knowledge institutes.
Cesar will be awarded his prize in a festive ceremony during ICT.OPEN2020, which takes place on 17-18 March 2020 in Groningen.
Previous winners of the Netherlands Prize for ICT research include:
- Prof. Bettina Speckmann – Eindhoven University of Technology (2011)
- Prof. Cees Snoek – University of Amsterdam (2012)
- Prof. Marieke Huisman – University of Twente (2013)
- Dr. Birna van Riemsdijk – Delft University of Technolgy (2015)
- Prof. Alexandru Iosup – Delft University of Technology / VU Amsterdam (2016)
- Dr. Peter Schwabe – Radboud University Nijmegen (2017)
- Prof. Joost Batenburg – CWI / Leiden University (2018)
- Prof. Elmar Eisemann – Delft University of Technology (2019)
- Video with Pablo Cesar explaining the research of his DIS group
- CWI news item (Dutch)
- NWO news item (Dutch)
- NWO news item (English)
- Pablo Cesar with Byborre: Unique research collaboration at Amsterdam Dance Event
- Collaboration with Xinhuanet (A leading Chinese broadcasting agency)
- Development of a Smart Urban Jacket
- Release of open source software for object based broadcasting production
- Contribution to MPEG point cloud compression