CWI is part of the Institutes Organization of NWO, NWO-I.
CWI is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, cooperating with the other organizations (such as AMOLF, Nikhef, SURFsara, UvA-FNWI) in research projects, communications and the annual Amsterdam Science Park Open Day in October.
CWI has about 200 research partners, such as businesses, governments, financial institutions and research organizations.
Special cooperation with:
- INRIA CWI and French research institute Inria have set up an Inria International Lab (IIL) together. The purpose of such labs is to fund and develop partnerships and collaborative research with international first-class institutions.
- Research institute IDEAS-NCBR from Poland have signed a memorandum of understanding
- Epsilon Uitgaven (publisher of scientific books for students and scientists)
- Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde (magazine of the Royal Dutch Mathematical Society - KWG)
- Platform Wiskunde Nederland (PWN) (national platform for mathematics)
- Pythagoras (maths magazine for youngsters)
- QuSoft (Dutch research center for quantum software, launched by CWI and UvA)
- Versen (Dutch National Association for Software Engineering)
- Vierkant voor Wiskunde (maths activities for youngsters)
CWI participates in:
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Moving Pictures Expert Group (MPEG)
- Video Quality Experts Group (VQEG)
- European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) - founding member
- European Research Centres on Mathematics (ERCOM)
- European Mathematical Society (EMS)
- Informatics Europe
- Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences (DTL) - co-founder
- AI, Media, and Democracy ELSA Lab - co-founder
- CHI NL (Human Computer Interaction in the Netherlands)
- Quantum.Amsterdam (the Amsterdam hub of Quantum Delta NL) - co-founder
- Quantum Application Lab - co-founder
- TTT.AI (national initiative to transform academic research results into new spin off companies)
- NL AI Coalition
- Partner in the National Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence (ICAI)