Monique Laurent will give an invited lecture at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) 2014 on Wednesday 20 August in Seoul, Korea. It is a great honour to speak at ICM, the most important conference for mathematicians in the world, with thousands of participants and the award of the Fields Medals. The conference is organized every four years by the International Mathematical Union.
Monique Laurent is the leader of the Networks and Optimization research group at CWI and part-time full professor at Tilburg University. Her lecture at ICM 2014 is entitled 'Optimization over Polynomials: Selected Topic'. Polynomial functions are used in a broad range of applications in optimization, control and logistics (think of the travelling salesman problem). Recently researchers have developed new algorithmic approaches for optimizing over polynomials, by combining classical mathematical tools from algebra and analysis with modern semidefinite optimization solvers.
- Movie of the ICM2014 Lecture by Monique Laurent
- Homepage of Monique Laurent
- Networks and Optimization group at CWI
- Laurent’s survey "Sums of Squares, Moment Matrices and Optimization Over Polynomials" - a book chapter in this book
- Day program of Lecture series nr. 16 (Control Theory and Optimization) at ICM 2014
- ICM 2014 website