This tutorial serves as a simple guide to the research process - offering instructions and suggestions on how to best identify, access, evaluate, and document information sources. By connecting you to relevant information through the library portal the tutorial is designed to introduce you to the resources available from the CWI Library.
Chapters 1 - 6 are meant to help you to identify and find scientific information; chapters 7 - 13 are designed to help you to evaluate and use such information.
If you need any personal help, you can always contact Wouter Mettrop (Wouter.Mettrop@cwi.nl), our Information Specialist.
If you have any comments or suggestions for this tutorial please send them to the library webmaster.
0. Search the tutorial
1. How do I start with bibliographical research
2. Finding background information
3. What are the characteristics of scientific publications and how do I identify the different types of publications in references?
- Articles in books, or collection of articles
- Journal articles
- Conference proceedings articles
- Reports and preprints
- Informal and unofficial sources
- Web sources
4. Where do I find literature on my topics?
- Library catalogue
- Finding eResources
- General bibliographical databases
- Special bibliographical databases
- Publishers databases