- research themes
- research groups
- research staff
- In brief
Leader of the group Database Architectures (DA): Stefan Manegold
Multimedia information access provides the key technology for the creation of artifacts that assist us smoothly in our daily lives, improving our experiences at work and pleasure. Yet, creating such artifacts proves to be a challenging engineering process: the complexity of state of the art technology is ever increasing, due to the required integration of various, (independently imperfect) content-based analysis techniques (domain-specific as well as generic), while, simultaneously, the size of multimedia collections to be handled grows significantly, because more data become available in digital form.
The work carried out is focused on bridging the gap between (autonomous) distributed database architectures and the need to scale algorithms for multimedia information retrieval beyond a few thousand elements. Such a multidisciplinary approach is considered pivotal for making progress.
Both research lines are supported by activities geared at bridging the technology gap itself using our MonetDB product family, a collection of tools to build information systems, using our innovative technology.
- October, 2013:
Human Brain Project started
- June, 2013:
Humboldt Research Award for Peter Boncz
- January 28, 2013:
CWI's Database Architecture group in Human Brain Project
- November 11-15, 2012:
Meet us, the Database Architectures research group of CWI and the MonetDB team, at ISCW 2012 in Boston, MA, USA, or browse our papers that we will present there.
- August 27-31, 2012:
Meet us, the Database Architectures research group of CWI and the MonetDB team, at VLDB 2012, TPCTC 2012, BIRTE 2012 & ADMS 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey, or browse our papers that we will present there:
- - Roadmap for European Technologies in Hardware and Networking for Big Data (EU-FP7-CSA)
- - SP7: High Performance Computing Platform (EU-FP7-ICT-FET-Flagship)
- - Creating Knowledge out of Interlinked Data (EU-FP7-ICT)
- - Linked Open Earth Observation Data for Precision Farming (EU-FP7-ICT)
- - Database technology to advance science (NWO)
- COMMIT/ - TimeTrails (P19): Spatiotemporal Data Warehouses for Travellers (NL/FES)
- Beyond the data-explosion - eScience infrastructure for huge interferometric datasets (NLeSC)
- - A European Network of Excellence on Large-Scale Data Management (EU-FP7-ICT)
- - Virtual Observatory Infrastructure for Earth Observation Data (EU-FP7-ICT)
- - Emergency Management in Large Infrastructures (EU-FP7-SEC)